FIDDLE HOUSE (constructed 1944)
The 1944 Fiddle House is "one of the hallmarks of the park; this building was constructed as Ed Galloway's woodwork 'museum'. The eleven-sided building faces north, toward State Highway 28. The low pitched, hipped roof is covered with composition shingles, as was the historic roof. There is no overhang. From the center of the roof rises an eleven-sided, low-pitched monitor roof, with composition shingles and wood siding. Seven of the sides have rectangular, single-light, wood-frame windows. The building is constructed of rock and steel, covered over with thick concrete plastering. At each of the corners (there are thirteen) is an engaged column carved in shallow relief, painted, with figures, like a totem pole. Eleven of these are carved and painted bird figures, but at the due southwest and due southeast corners, the columns are trees, with branches that project outward; on each branch sits a carved owl. The front five panels of the building have windows that are festooned with painted grapevines and leaves. The front of the building is the widest 'wall". having a thirty-five-light wood door flanked by 18x18 single-hung, wood-frame windows. The wall panels to the east and west of the entrance also have 18x18 single-hung, wood-frame windows. All windows have concrete sills. The remaining six panels have no openings. On the due east and due west, panels are painted oval bust-portraits of Native American men; on the two southmost panels are areas that resemble a raised frame, apparently prepared for portraits but never finished by Galloway. The two other panels are blank. Except for the portraiture, the six rear walls are plain brown concrete."
"The interior of the Fiddle House is decorated as well. A new sheet-rock drop ceiling has a rectangular opening to admit light from the monitor roof. There are thirteen engaged columns at the corners. Twelve are carved and painted as bird totems, and one is a tree trunk. The six unwindowed walls are covered with murals, four depicting mountain-and-lake scenes. The windowed walls have grapevine motifs festooning the windows. The roof is supported by four centrally placed cylindrical columns; two are tree trunks with bird motifs and two are bird totems."
Everett, Dianna. "Ed Galloway's Totem Pole Park." National Register of Historic Places. 27 July 1998. Certified 25 January 1999.