HISTORY OF CLAREMORE, OKLAHOMA
In 1802, a band of Osage Indians traveled from Missouri to Indian Territory and settled adjacent to the Verdigris River. Disputes between the Osage and Cherokee Indians led to a battle in 1817, when Chief Clermont's Osage village was wiped out by the Cherokees. In 1842, Elijah Hicks established a trading post on the site of the old Osage village. Will Rogers's father arrived in the Clermont area in 1856. After the Civil War the settlement of Clermont moved east until it met up with the Frisco railroad in 1874. The post office was established in 1874 under the name of Claremore instead of Clermont.
By 1880, John Bullette had re-established the village of Clermont (Claremore). In 1882, the Frisco Railroad extended its line from Vinita to the Arkansas River and stopped at Tessey Chambers's store, once again moving the site of Claremore.
In 1883, Claremore was incorporated as a town under Cherokee law.
By 1893, two railroads ran six trains a day through Claremore. Merchants included a general store, blacksmith, meat store, brick plant, and a doctor. The first bank opened in 1897.
The first city council met in 1898 and passed 34 ordinances between 1898 and 1900. Ordinance No. 1 established the rules and regulations for the government of the town council and officers of the town in their relation to the council.
Through the years Claremore has grown and prospered to become the Premiere City in Northeast Oklahoma.
RCHS archives. Author unknown.